Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Sisterhood - Episode One: The Legacy



The feud between the Cooper Sisters and the Bradley Sisters has been going on since the 1960s. They inherited the beef from their mothers, who were both in love with and fighting for the same man.
Today, the Cooper and Bradley families are the most controversial families in the city of Cleveland. Wealth, power, drama, scandal, and secrets have made the families urban legends in the flesh.  

Am I my sister's keeper? Maybe...


S1.E1 - The Legacy
Dana has a very special announcement for her family that will shake things up for the Coopers.


            Genie Cooper looked around the dining room table at her siblings and shook her head. She hated every one of them. Look at these fucking idiots, she tought.
            Helayna, Henn, and Sparkle laughed and chatted amongst one another as they waited for their mother to arrive. Henn, told another story about some random ratchet hoe he smashed that nobody wanted to hear. It was the middle of the night and their mother had called them there to make some emergency announcement. Her brother's topic of conversation was just another thing added to the list of reasons why she despised him.
            "Where is Honey?" Genie asked with an attitude.
            "Damn, you just gon' interrupt my conversation like that," Henn said. "She's late as usual. We know you can't live without your precious baby sister. She'll be here, Genie don't worry."
            Sparkle chimed in. "Yeah, your favorite girl in the world. You know that incest shit is nasty. How you feel comfortable being in love with your own sister?"
            "Leave her alone, yall."
            "Shut up, Twin! You always tryna protect some damn body," Sparkle said. Helayna and Genie were nine months apart so the family nicknamed them The Twins.
            "I don't need her to protect me. Fuck y'all. Honey will always be my favorite. Deal with it."
            "You need to watch your mouth when your sitting at my dining room table, Genie."  Their mother, Dana, had walked up without them noticing. "You should love all your sisters the same anyhow." She took her seat at the head of the table.
            Genie sat up straight in her chair. "Sorry, Ma. What's the emergency?"
            Dana looked at her children and smiled. "Your father's coming down. Just be patient, okay."
            "You look good, Ma. You sure you're alright?" Sparkle asked.
            "Yes I'm alright, baby. Thank you... Where's Honey?"

~

            Honey sat naked kneeling in front of Jeremy as he stroked his throbbing penis. She threw her head back and opened her mouth wide. A few seconds later, Jeremy grabbed her by the hair and released his load for her to taste. When the last drop fell Honey swallowed it all and licked her lips.
            Jeremy collapsed on the bed breathing heavily. "You the coldest..."
            "Yeah, whatever." Honey giggled and gathered up her clothes that were thrown around the room.
            "Why don't you stay? Come on, Honey, please. Spend the night with me for once. A nigga be lonely in this big ass house by his self all the time." Jeremy, better known to streets as Jay Bandz, had only been living in his house two months. He bought it with the advance money he got from the record deal he signed with Interscope Records.
            Honey slipped on her jeans and bra then grabbed her purse from the nightstand. "We haven't been kicking it long enough for that yet." She pulled out her cellphone to find that it was dead. She unplugged Jeremy's iPhone and plugged hers up. It powered on.
            "What's the difference between spending the night and staying 'til 3:00 in the morning?"
            "Where I wake up at." Honey's cellphone buzzed and her voicemail icon popped up. All too eager to end the conversation she picked her phone up and checked her messages.
            "Can you put the phone down and talk to me please?"
            "Shhh..." Honey put up her finger as she listened to the message of her mother saying to come to the house immediately for an emergency family meeting.
            "Are you serious right now? I'm trying to tell you how I feel and you play me like that?"
            Honey hung up the phone and jumped up. "That was my mother. I gotta go, it's an emergency." She put the rest of her clothes on and grabbed her purse. "I'll spend the night next time, I promise. I gotta see what's up with my mom."
            Jeremy got up from the bed. "I understand. Go handle your business. Just call me and let me know you're alright." He kissed Honey on the forehead before she rushed out the door.

~

            The Cooper family sat at the dining room table in silence as they waited for Honey, the youngest of the five siblings, to arrive. Dana refused to make her urgent announcement until everyone got there. Genie looked her mother over carefully. She looked just fine. She can't be sick, she thought.
            Dana was 60 years old but she looked 15 years younger at least. She is the product of a black mother and white father but she looked Native American. She kept her long, black hair up in a braided bun and was always dressed as if she was just coming from church. Fly two-piece suits with Chanel heels was her signature look.
            Tonight though, Dana was at home and relaxed. Her hair was down and she wasn't wearing any makeup. She wore a pink satin robe over a matching night gown as she sat holding hands with her husband, Henry.
            The tension in the room was eating Genie up inside. She looked around at the look of worry on everyone's faces. All except her mother. She looked content and peaceful. This only bothered Genie more.
            "Ma, why we gotta keep waiting for Honey?" she asked.
            "I keep calling and her phone is going straight to voicemail. Just tell us. We can fill her in when she gets here," Helayna said.
            Dana sighed. "Call her again, Sparkle. If she don't answer then we can go ahead and get started."
            Sparkle dialed her younger sister one last time. It rolled over to voicemail. She tapped the red button on the screen to hang up and sat her phone on the table. "Go ahead, Ma. I got the voicemail again."
            Dana looked around the room at her family and smiled. Genie could tell that she was nervous.
            "Well, you all have been sitting her so patiently under some tense circumstances and I apologize for that. I didn't mean to worry you so much."
            "It's okay. Don't worry about it,"Henn said.
            "Now, I don't want you guys to overreact when I give you this news. It's hard enough for me to have to talk about. Hearing y'all hooting and hollering ain't gonna help me or the situation none."
            Genie rolled her eyes. "No disrespect, Ma but can you just say it. No need to try to prepare us. We're all grown here."
            Dana looked surprised. "Well, excuse the hell out of me! Let me gone ahead and spit it out then. I'm-" Dana was interrupted by the sound of Honey coming in the door. She rushed into the dining room and over to her mother.
            "I'm so sorry I'm late, Ma. I was working late on some stuff and fell asleep. I didn't even realize my phone died until I woke up to go to the bathroom." She kissed her mother on the cheek then her father. "Sorry, y'all," she said as she sat down next to Genie. "What's the emergency?"
            "She was about to tell us when you finally walked in." Helayna rolled her eyes at Honey.
            Honey just waved her hand at Helayna. "Anyway, Ma. What's going on?"
            Tears filled Dana's eyes. Everyone including Henry got upset. "Hey now," he said. "I thought you said this news wasn't gonna be that bad."
            "I know... I lied." Dana began to sob. "I'm going to jail... I got a year in federal prison!" She cried then quickly left the room.
            Everyone sat at the table wide eyed with their mouths hanging open. Did they hear her right? Jail? Federal prison? What the hell could a 60 year old woman possibly do to deserve a year in the feds?
            Henry stood up. "I'll get to the bottom of all this. Y'all go on home and get some sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow."
           




           
           

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment